Monday, November 16, 2009

Vodka Showdown Results, Finally

Okay, results are in! I've now conducted three separate blind vodka tastings and drum roll, please...




Photos from Vodka Showdown Round 2

Despite the propaganda Costco employees peddle, Kirkland brand vodka is not equal to Grey Goose.

Grey Goose definitively came out on top whether sampling two, three, or four vodkas. In those same taste tests, Kirkland brand came in second, third, and third, respectively. (It beat out Belvedere!) These are, however, according to my taste buds. Some, being Shrek and Jetsetter, preferred Ketel One over Grey Goose and in one instance Kirkland emerged the reigning champ by a fellow vodka enthusiast. My recommendation? Conduct your own blind tasting! One, it's totally fun and, two, you discover what you like and don't like so you know what (not) to spend your money on at the bar or in the booze aisle.

Finally, I would like to take a moment to point out just how awesome my taste buds are. In the two "controlled" blind trials (meaning I wasn't too drunk a la my first tasting!) my results were the same no matter the order in which we tasted. Grey Goose was number one, Ketel One second, Kirkland third, and Belvedere was like (how I imagine) sipping gasoline (would be). Then there's Shrek who heralded Ketel One the champ in Round 2 but liked it least in our most recent tasting. He claims it must have to do with the order in which we taste, but my results debunk that theory.

Now, how to conduct your own blind tasting.
It's much more entertaining to taste when no one knows what's what. This is how I pulled it off and you can, too.

In my most recent tasting, there were 7 participants and 4 vodkas.

Supplies:
  • I created little placemats, one for each participant, with colored dots. Each color represents a different vodka. 
  • Due to the number of glasses required, I went to Target and picked up some short, clear plastic cocktail glasses. ($2.99 for 25.)
  • Pens to make notes
  • Chasers
Instructions:
  • Isolate yourself in the kitchen. Line up glasses in rows of 4 flights x 7 glasses, one per person per flight.
  • Keep track of which vodka you pour for each flight on a piece of paper and put it somewhere safe until it's time to reveal what's what.
  • Assign someone to bring all the glasses out and set them on the placemats. Explain that there are 4 flights and each flight should be placed on a color of their choosing. The idea is that everyone tasting "blue," for example, should be tasting the same vodka. This person also needs to keep track of which flight (1, 2, 3, or 4) is placed on each color by jotting it down on a piece of paper. 


  • Once setup is complete, everyone should have a placemat, drinks, chaser of their choosing, and a pen to jot down notes on their placemat. Let the tasting commence!

  • I recommend everyone start by sipping the same color and moving around to each at the same time. Once all colors have been tasted, it's kind of a free for all. I go back and forth, sipping each, trying to figure out which one I like better. 
  • When it's time to reveal what's what, it's fun to go around the group or ask people to chime in if what's about to be revealed is a favorite, a least favorite, or what they think the vodka is. 


Results from Vodka Showdown Round 3

Ratings are based on "shoot-ability." "Mix-ability" is a whole 'nother story.  Although I don't enjoy Kirkland brand vodka in a shot glass, I very much do in a mixed drink - or two!

No comments:

About MindyKnows

My photo
I'm a girl constantly on the hunt for top quality, stellar customer service, and fun when it comes to shopping and eating out. The more affordable, the better. Though, you will quickly see that indulging in handbags - Hello, Louis! - and food - Hello, Foodie! - is a weakness of mine. Yes, posts will primarily pertain to the Bay Area as this is where I currently call "Home." However, I am no stranger to travel so visit often to read up on my finds and to chime in on your faves!

Blogs I Follow