Thursday, November 5, 2009

Mindy Knows Meatloaf

For me, meatloaf is up there with pho as the ultimate wintery comfort food and this recipe has never failed me! 



Even when I have to substitute one ingredient for another or plum run out of Worcestershire Sauce, the results are still excellent. A tip: because bake-time itself takes an hour-thirty plus, I usually bake it the night before I want to enjoy it. That way, I can just make my potato side dish (either mashed potatoes or wedges) and pop a few slices of meatloaf in the micro when I get home from work. 


Ingredients:
2 lbs ground beef. I usually combine 1 lb lean + l lb not
1/2 cup bread crumbs. I use Progresso's
1 cup milk. 2% works best even though I usually use fat free since that's what we drink and have on hand
1 Tbls Worcestershire Sauce
4 cloves minced garlic
1 small onion finely chopped
1 shallot finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon dry or Grey Poupon mustard
1/4 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon salt
Ketchup

Tip: If you've got access to one, a mini food chopper like my Cuisinart Mini-Prep Food Processor
makes all that chopping and mincing a breeze. 


Directions:
Preheat over to 350 degrees.
Mix all ingredients but the ketchup in a bowl. I use my hands for this part!
Place in an un-greased loaf pan. 
Generously apply ketchup across the top.
Bake uncovered for an hour and a half, then up the temp to a broil for an additional 15 minutes.
Remove from oven and let rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving









2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like a great meatloaf, but I'm still going to try the turkey/oatmeal tonight. What's a Russell potato--russet???

Unknown said...

The turkey meatloaf was pretty wretched...........from now on I think I'll stick to the traditional. I like your addition of poupon; meant to use it in the turkey but forgot (I actually followed the recipe from NBC). Next time................

About MindyKnows

My photo
I'm a girl constantly on the hunt for top quality, stellar customer service, and fun when it comes to shopping and eating out. The more affordable, the better. Though, you will quickly see that indulging in handbags - Hello, Louis! - and food - Hello, Foodie! - is a weakness of mine. Yes, posts will primarily pertain to the Bay Area as this is where I currently call "Home." However, I am no stranger to travel so visit often to read up on my finds and to chime in on your faves!

Blogs I Follow