Monday, July 20, 2009

Pho For All Seasons


Despite the temps soaring into the mid 90s this weekend, Shrek was craving Pho on Saturday. Though I thought he was nuts for wanting a steaming hot bowl of Vietnamese noodle soup, there is no denying a Pho craving. 

We arrived at our favorite Pho place, Pho Viet at Trimble and First, and were immediately ushered to our usual table, as we have quickly become regulars. 
"Same thing?" our server asked as we took our seat. I've dined here for lunches and dinners on all days of the week (except Sundays since, unfortunately, they're closed) and the same guy's been our server each occasion. Typically, Shrek and I share an order of spring rolls (pictured second) and then each get a regular number 11, pho with rare steak (pictured first). But this time I was feeling BBQ pork and shrimp over noodles (pictured last). 


I don't know how they do it, but all the pho places I've been to provide lightning fast service. This one, however, takes the cake. Especially if you come during the lunch rush as they are quite popular being in the midst of all the Silicon Valley tech companies. For lunch, servers punch your order into a handheld device as they take your order from your table. This electronically sends it straight to the kitchen so your order is brought out to you once the server moves on to take the next table's order. Even so, I prefer coming during off times which are evenings and Saturdays. The wait isn't too much longer. Right after we ordered, water and a little chopstick/napkin/spoon pack was dropped off followed by our fresh spring rolls with peanut sauce. I always mix hoisin in my peanut sauce and Shrek likes, no, LOVES, Sriracha. Before we'd had a chance to finish the rolls, out came the pho and my bbq plate. I'd say in total we waited 4 minutes for everything to come out and mmmm, was it delicious! 


I love coming to this place due to its consistent fast, friendly service, cleanliness, and the food is the freshest around. (You must try their spring rolls if you go!)  Sorry to all who love Pho Thanh Long on El Camino, but the food, cleanliness, and friendliness just doesn't compare to Pho Viet's. Incidentally I ended up wanting pho the very next day but Pho Viet was closed so we had to go to Pho Thanh Long. Their spring rolls were limp and had a funky taste, the peanut sauce wasn't nearly as good as Pho Viet's and the pho was super salty. Since the prices are about the same at both places, 2 plates or bowls + spring rolls = about $20 before tip, I'd definitely head over to Pho Viet if given the option. After writing this up, I'm already anticipating going back for more!

1 comment:

Eileen and Brad's World said...

It took me a long time to crave Pho after our 9 weeks in Vietnam / Laos three years(?) ago. And now I definitely do - especially because we are way below freezing with NO central heating! South Africa needs Pho!

About MindyKnows

My photo
I'm a girl constantly on the hunt for top quality, stellar customer service, and fun when it comes to shopping and eating out. The more affordable, the better. Though, you will quickly see that indulging in handbags - Hello, Louis! - and food - Hello, Foodie! - is a weakness of mine. Yes, posts will primarily pertain to the Bay Area as this is where I currently call "Home." However, I am no stranger to travel so visit often to read up on my finds and to chime in on your faves!

Blogs I Follow