Saturday, July 18, 2009

Washington Hospitality 101

I've been receiving quite a few requests of late for recommendations regarding places to go and what to do when visiting the Pacific Northwest - specifically, the San Juan Islands. If you happen to take my suggestion and hop on Allegiant Airlines from Oakland CA to Bellingham WA for a little weekend excursion, these are some of my favorite haunts and where you can probably find me when I'm visiting "home" -- or what was my home for 16 years. Hard to believe I've been living in the Bay Area now for 7 years! In no particular order (though I tried to group them by locale)...











*Deception Pass: I usually park on the Fidalgo Island side and take visitors for a stroll across the bridge before hiking down to the beach pictured on the Whidbey Island side. Even with all the traffic rushing by as you walk over the bridge, I swear this is some of the freshest air you will ever breathe. For more info like directions, visit here.








*Mount Erie: For me, Mount Erie offers some of the most spectacular views of the area where I grew up. You can drive, run (it's a really good hill workout!), hike, or rock climb your way to the top depending on your motivation or lack thereof. I think it's open something like dawn to dusk. Mount Erie is located at 1399 Erie Mountain Dr, Anacortes, WA 98221. Get directions







*Washington Park: Albeit tempting to simply walk, run, or drive Loop Road which meanders through the park creating a 2-mile loop, make sure to trek off-road. The little hikes and beaches are worth exploring! For more info like park hours and directions, visit here.


















*Washington State Ferry From Anacortes to Friday Harbor: I used to take these to "Away" basketball tournaments hosted by middle schools on the various islands. I have fond memories of playing "Sardines" and many heads of hair being braided on these voyages. Today, take 3 hours out of your day to catch the 11 am express ferry (no stops!) to ride one hour out to Friday Harbor, grab a beer, and return back to Anacortes on the same boat. Parking's $10, the tickets are $13 pp if you're walking on (cars and bikes are a bit more) and the view's stunning as you cruise through the islands. Sit outside in the front for the full salt-water-wind-in-your-face effect. Click here for the ferry schedule.



*LaConner Brewery: Outside of my mom's kitchen, this is one of my favorite places to eat whenever I visit. Shrek and I ate here just last week and lunched on crab cakes, clam chowder, Mediterranean Plate and Neopolitan pizza. Next time I'm going to skip the crab cakes as they use too many bread crumbs and not enough crab for my taste. I also wasn't a fan of the sauce it came with. It is reminiscent of the dipping sauces served with fried spring rolls at the Thai restaurants I frequent down here in the Bay Area. Other than that, the food is fresh, hearty and soo soo good! Visit their website here for photos, menus, hours, and location. 




*Skagit Valley Tulip Festival: If you happen to visit in April (although I would recommend visiting in late July - early September due to the weather), you MUST check out the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival! Click here for more info.






*Sakuma Bros Market: For the freshest strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, tayberries, and veggies, you must visit pay a visit to Sakuma Brothers Market near the Cook Road Exit off I-5. Bonus, I worked as a cashier and also made strawberry shortcake treats one summer! Visit their website here for berries, produce, contact info, hours, and location.



















*Taylor Shellfish: From Sakuma Brother's Market, make your way West on Cook Road before turning right onto Chuckanut Drive. Eventually you will make your way to Taylor Shellfish on Chuckanut Mountain. Did you catch Mike Rowe doing a Dirty Job at Taylor's?! At Taylor Shellfish, they harvest and sell their own clams, oysters, crabs, and mussels. They also ship their shellfish overnight. Visit their website here for details, hours, and directions.


*Larrabee State Park: Continue Northwest up Chuckanut Drive (make sure to take advantage of the vistas along the way!) to Larrabee State Park. It'll be on your left. Whether you love scrambling along rocks to find starfish or just perching serenely atop a boulder to look out over the water, you will fall in love with the natural beauty of this place. If you cross Chuckanut Drive they've also got some hiking trails up to Fragrance Lake, etc. Intrigued? Visit here for more info on Larrabee State Park.






*Fairhaven: Chuckanut Drive pretty much drops you off in Fairhaven, a little boutique neighborhood of Bellingham. I was first acquainted with this area as a toddler when my parents would drive me all the way here (a good 45 minute drive from my home) to get my hair cut. Later, I would frequent Fairhaven Runners for shoes and other great gear. Now, I enjoy the art of window shopping. Afavorite is Mud in Your Eye (pottery). No website but they're at 911 Harris Street. An oddity, but I always stock up on their homemade chapsticks each visit. I also recommend indulging in Sirena Gelato after brunching at Skylark's Hidden Cafe. Skylark's whips up a superb lox and cream cheese omelette! Don't forget to order a mimosa. Finally, if you're in the mood for standup comedy, the Fairhaven Pub and Martini Bar has live standup comedy most Sundays. 

















*The Chrysallis Inn & Spa: Should've maybe started with this one, but this is my pick for where to stay, especially if you are flying into Bellingham. The Inn and most rooms overlook Bellingham Bay and hotel itself is situated at a popular trailhead which runs along the water. You can also walk to Fairhaven from here. One of my favorite features is the soaking tub with shoji screens that open the bathroom into the bedroom. (Err, probably not the best place to stay if you get "stage fight" but definitely a romantic and cozy place to relax and get away.) Visit the hotel website here.

*Anthony's Restaurant at Squalicum Harbor: My pick for dinner is Anthony's. Though it is a chain of 19 restaurants originating in Kirkland, WA (am not especially fond of recommending chains to dine at when going away someplace) they know how to do waterfront dining and seafood! Their views of the harbor coupled with their dee-lish seafood makes for a memorable meal. Visit their restaurant website here.

Form Bellingham, Vancouver, BC, lies 1 hour north. Continue onto Whistler (another 2 hours) from there. (Next time I'm in Whistler I really really want to do this!) Seattle, Washington lies about 1 and a half hours south of Bellingham, but I'll save those for another time!

About MindyKnows

My photo
I'm a girl constantly on the hunt for top quality, stellar customer service, and fun when it comes to shopping and eating out. The more affordable, the better. Though, you will quickly see that indulging in handbags - Hello, Louis! - and food - Hello, Foodie! - is a weakness of mine. Yes, posts will primarily pertain to the Bay Area as this is where I currently call "Home." However, I am no stranger to travel so visit often to read up on my finds and to chime in on your faves!

Blogs I Follow