Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Mindy Knows Lemony Almond Biscotti



For some reason I'd always been under the impression that biscotti (Italian for "twice baked") was difficult to master. Last night, however, I decided to give it a try and my very first batch turned out great! Really couldn't have hoped for better results. The process was also really quick and straightforward, too. Will definitely be baking these guys again!


Here's my friend's recipe which I followed. I didn't have any lemons to grate so I skipped that step.


Baker's Tools:
1 mixing bowl
1 spatula
1 measuring cup
measuring spoons
1 cookie sheet
knife
wax/parchment paper


Ingredients: 
6 Tbsp. Butter
2/3 cup Sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups flour
Grated rind of 1 Lemon (about 1 Tbsp.)
1 1/4 tsp. Almond Extract
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2-3 Tbsp. Lemon juice
2 eggs
Add almond slices for extra flavor


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix butter (melted and cooled down a little), sugar, salt, lemon rind, almond extract, and baking powder until smooth and creamy
3. Add lemon juice and eggs
4. Add flour. Stir until smooth. Dough is very sticky at this point.
5. Place dough on cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
6. Shape into a log ( maybe 12 inches by 4-5 inches)
7. Bake for  28 minutes at 350 degrees (You want top to be slightly brown)



8. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 325 degrees.
9. Cut into 1-1 1/2 inch pieces. Lay on there side on same parchment paper.



10. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 325 degrees. (Check to make sure they are also slightly browning.)



11. Remove and let cool completely to enjoy!

** Shrek's trying to convince me to dip the bottoms in chocolate tonight, but I think they're mighty tasty just as they are!

No comments:

About MindyKnows

My photo
I'm a girl constantly on the hunt for top quality, stellar customer service, and fun when it comes to shopping and eating out. The more affordable, the better. Though, you will quickly see that indulging in handbags - Hello, Louis! - and food - Hello, Foodie! - is a weakness of mine. Yes, posts will primarily pertain to the Bay Area as this is where I currently call "Home." However, I am no stranger to travel so visit often to read up on my finds and to chime in on your faves!

Blogs I Follow