Saturday, December 26, 2009

On A Roll

Tried my hand at homemade sushi and it turned out fantastic, if I may say so myself.



Next time I'll be more adventurous, but here's how I made homemade Philladelphia Rolls.

First, gather your ingredients:

  • 2-3 cups cooked sticky rice, cooled
  • Lox
  • Cream cheese in a brick 
  • Nori (seaweed)
  • Sesame Seeds
  • Lettuce
  • Optional: Soy Sauce
  • Optional: Wasabi
  • Optional: Sake :)
Tools:
  • Saran wrap
  • Bamboo Sushi Roller
  • Sharp knife
  • Cereal bowl filled with warm water
Instructions:


1. Wrap plastic wrap tightly around bamboo sushi roller. Place on flat surface.

2. Sprinkle Sesame Seeds in same shape of Nori sheet.
(You may want to cut it down a little, since you don't want your roll too wide)
3. Dips fingers in water to keep rice from sticking and shape rice over Sesame Seeds



4. Place Nori rough side down, followed by lettuce, long rectangular slices of cream cheese, and lox


5. Grasp front (edge closest to you) of bamboo roller and roll tightly towards middle,
ensuring that front and back edges of rice meet




6. Slice roll with a wet knife. I cleaned it off in between each slice and left the blade wet






Depending on your preference, serve with wasabi, soy sauce and sake.
Shrek also grilled up some Chicken Yakitori with green onions for the occasion.




YUM!



No comments:

About MindyKnows

My photo
I'm a girl constantly on the hunt for top quality, stellar customer service, and fun when it comes to shopping and eating out. The more affordable, the better. Though, you will quickly see that indulging in handbags - Hello, Louis! - and food - Hello, Foodie! - is a weakness of mine. Yes, posts will primarily pertain to the Bay Area as this is where I currently call "Home." However, I am no stranger to travel so visit often to read up on my finds and to chime in on your faves!

Blogs I Follow