Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Chocolatey Chewy Gingerbread Cookies

So happy that so many of you are trying out and enjoying the recipes I've posted! Here's the recipe for the chocolate gingerbread cookies I made over the weekend. It's a twist on Martha Stewart's recipe:


Photo from MarthaStewart.com


When I followed her directions to a T (figured I'd better when she calls for 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour!), the molasses flavor was a little overwhelming for my taste, so I cut it back a little in the recipe below. Oh, and of course I added more chocolate chips.


Warning: this recipe is extremely messy to make, but the outcome is beautiful! See?







Ingredients:


1 bag of semisweet chocolate chips
1 and 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/3 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon cocoa powder (I used Ovaltine and it turned out just fine!)
1 stick unsalted butter
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup unsulfured molasses
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup granulated sugar


Directions:
  1. Mix flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cocoa
  2. Beat together butter and grated ginger. Add brown sugar and molasses.
  3. Dissolve baking soda in 1 1/2 teaspoons boiling water. 
  4. Add 1/2 flour mixture to butter mixture. Add baking soda mixture, then finally remaining flour mixture.
  5. Add chocolate chips
  6. Remove batter from bowl onto a large sheet of plastic wrap. Work dough to about 1 inch thick, wrap and refrigerate until firm. (At least 2 hours.)
  7. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. 
  8. Refrigerate for 20 minutes
  9. Remove and roll dough in granulated sugar
  10. Bake until the surfaces crack slightly, about 10-12 minutes.









Makes 2 dozen.

No comments:

About MindyKnows

My photo
I'm a girl constantly on the hunt for top quality, stellar customer service, and fun when it comes to shopping and eating out. The more affordable, the better. Though, you will quickly see that indulging in handbags - Hello, Louis! - and food - Hello, Foodie! - is a weakness of mine. Yes, posts will primarily pertain to the Bay Area as this is where I currently call "Home." However, I am no stranger to travel so visit often to read up on my finds and to chime in on your faves!

Blogs I Follow