Saturday, January 9, 2010

Fenton's XXX Creamery

After hearing so many good things about Fenton's Creamery in Oakland (their homemade(!) ice cream is "Sooo unbelievably good!" and apparently it's where the balloon in Disney's Up lands!) I had to check it out. It didn't take much persuading to get theMaykazine and Jetsetter to accompany me - both were already regulars.

Impressions in order of appearance:
  • Parking is a nightmare...but so worth it. ("Thanks!" to Maykazine who dropped us off at the door to find parking by herself - a good six blocks away.) Fenton's parking lot is so tiny for a joint whose line is out the door for scoops of ice cream to-go. Fortunately, we were able to nab a table quickly. 
  • Fenton's also serves up burgers, fries, onon rings, etc. and, boy, are they are popular! All around me I spotted everyone chowing down on "real food" when I was looking for sundaes. (Those were brought out to the same tables later.) Note to self: I want to try the onion rings when I go back. 
  • To me, a first-timer and ice cream lover, the menu was delectably overwhelming. Take a gander at their numerous homemade flavors here and then imagine (or click on the link to the menu and scroll down a few pages) all the sundae possibilities one could dream up with multiple syrups and toppings and you can see the dilemma I faced. 
  • I finally locked my gaze on the following:

  • I know it doesn't sound extraordinary, but I knew it would be if they were famous and getting away with charging $10 for their sundaes. The only problem? It's called the "Fudgeanna." I actually didn't see the problem with this until I announced my selection aloud to my friends and they gave me a quizzical look before busting out laughing. Uncontrollably. Apparently neither had ever noticed this on the menu, and who would when it's hidden amongst all the other sundaes with normal names? And under sophisticated sundaes, no less!

  • After deciding there really was no other possible way they wanted us to pronounce it other than "Fudge-" like fudge and "-ana" like banana, I couldn't bring myself to order it with a straight face, because when you get me in the same room with certain friends, I have the maturity level of a 12 year old boy. Instead, I pointed it out on the menu to the server and I swear I saw her suppressing a laugh! Really, Fenton's? Isn't this a G-rated placed?! (Hah hah!)
  • Service was speedy: my sundae was placed in front of me in no less than five minutes, maybe three, which is amazing due to the number of ice cream creations they're dishing up on demand. theMaykazine and I quickly dove into our respective sundaes and all talking ceased. OH. MYYYYY.  MMMMMM. 
Eff, it was that good.
    Before:

    The Fudgeanna in the foreground. ($10)

    After:



    After that I needed a nap. And maybe a cigarette. You know, like post-coital.







    (**That's a joke about the cigarette, kids. Smoking is bad for you whenever, wherever!)

    No comments:

    About MindyKnows

    My photo
    I'm a girl constantly on the hunt for top quality, stellar customer service, and fun when it comes to shopping and eating out. The more affordable, the better. Though, you will quickly see that indulging in handbags - Hello, Louis! - and food - Hello, Foodie! - is a weakness of mine. Yes, posts will primarily pertain to the Bay Area as this is where I currently call "Home." However, I am no stranger to travel so visit often to read up on my finds and to chime in on your faves!

    Blogs I Follow