Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Not Your Average Ramen

Thanks to our neighbors for pointing us to Han Kook Supermarket! Shrek and I are infatuated with this Asian Market down at the corner of El Camino and Lawrence Expressway. In the past, I'd every so often venture into Kyo-Po or Ranch 99 and scurry out with my Kimchi and seaweed salad. (Seaweed salad, by the way, is a delicious side! If you've never tried it, it's got a lovely sesame flavor. A plus? It's a good-for-you side!)

These days I frequent Han Kook at least twice a week to get my fix. Han Kook's got a terrific spread of marinated meats, vegetables, Kimchi, etc that Shrek and I take home to prepare for dinner instead of dining out at Korean BBQ.


























































































We are also really into ramen and Yakisoba after being inspired at Oakland's Eat Real Foodie Festival. Han Kook just makes it all the more easier to be creative. We took it upon ourselves to recreate these delectable dishes:



















Ramen:


Instructions: A little ramen cooked per the package's instructions. Add canned corn (I like Trader Joe's because it's crunchy as if right off the cob!), a little sliced shallot, dried shredded seaweed, and kimchi on the side.



The Yakisoba is slightly more involved: Cook the ramen per the package's instructions but before adding the flavor packet, strain the noodles first. Toss noodles into a griddle with some fresh veggies (Shrek likes green and red peppers, corn, and onion).


Yakisoba pictured on two different occasions. The first is with potstickers, tofu, kimchi and shredded seaweed. The second is with Bulgogi, tofu, kimchi, and seaweed salad sides.















































I reccomend pairing the yakisoba with shots of Korean wine ;)


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds amazing!! sorry we're not going to your house instead of San Francisco...............

Unknown said...

looks great! i love yakisoba!

About MindyKnows

My photo
I'm a girl constantly on the hunt for top quality, stellar customer service, and fun when it comes to shopping and eating out. The more affordable, the better. Though, you will quickly see that indulging in handbags - Hello, Louis! - and food - Hello, Foodie! - is a weakness of mine. Yes, posts will primarily pertain to the Bay Area as this is where I currently call "Home." However, I am no stranger to travel so visit often to read up on my finds and to chime in on your faves!

Blogs I Follow