Saturday, August 15, 2009

Where to Wine


One of my favorite South Bay escapes is Savannah-Chanelle Winery located in the Santa Cruz Mountains just above Saratoga.


The Setting: After driving between towering Redwoods to reach the estate, you'll come upon the tasting room. Rustic and homey, their tasting room is not at all like the commercialized Spanish-style tasting room-villas that dot Napa, Sonoma and Livermore. I really appreciate how laid back and friendly the staff is, although on weekends it can be difficult to find space at their tasting bar as they have become a popular destination. They are, however, quite good at accommodating all visitors and more often than not, a live pianist is playing some happy tune.













After tasting (they only offer 1 flight of 6 which is $10 pp) head up the hill a little ways where you're free to roam the property. Walk among the Zinfandel and Chardonnay vines or picnic with a chilled bottle of wine on a hot summer day. They've got chilled bottles and let you borrow glasses provided you leave your ID as insurance that they'll be returned. Each time, rain or shine, I find the setting tranquil and inviting. It's a place to unwind and recharge before heading back to the urban sprawl in which I live and work.

The Deal: I actually wasn't much of a wine enthusiast before this place, even after tasting in Napa and drinking plenty in Italy and France. (I know, go figure, right?) However, after sampling their wine I became a member after my first visit. The perks of being a member are great! For about $45 every 3 months, we (Shrek and I) receive 2 bottles of wine, which easily retail for $35+ a piece and are often limited edition. We also receive a -10% or -15% discount (I can't remember which but it's one of those) when purchasing their wine and merchandise. They've got some awesome mustards which are always out for sampling. My favorite is the Honey Champagne while Shrek favors the Jalapeno mustard. I was also introduced to Cotswold Cheese here, although I discovered Trader Joes carries it for less.

The best perk that we've most certainly taken advantage of is tasting for free. Each time we visit we each get our own glass and taste about 6 wines (though depending on who pours and what's available, we've tasted up to 8) which is a $20 value since it's $10 per person per flight. We're also welcome to each bring a guest who tastes for free, saving $40 whenever we do so. For us and how often we go, the membership has definitely been worth the price. Visit their website here for directions. (Other than directions, their website is under construction.)

No comments:

About MindyKnows

My photo
I'm a girl constantly on the hunt for top quality, stellar customer service, and fun when it comes to shopping and eating out. The more affordable, the better. Though, you will quickly see that indulging in handbags - Hello, Louis! - and food - Hello, Foodie! - is a weakness of mine. Yes, posts will primarily pertain to the Bay Area as this is where I currently call "Home." However, I am no stranger to travel so visit often to read up on my finds and to chime in on your faves!

Blogs I Follow