Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Double the Chocolate Chips Cookie Recipe


Due to popular demand, zee recipe for my "Double the Chocolate Chips Cookies!"







INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup shortening (I use these little pre-measured Crisco shortening packs)
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups Quaker Rolled Oats
  • 2 BAGS semisweet chocolate chips







DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). 
  2. Combine flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, beat shortening, sugars and vanilla until creamy. Add eggs and beat until light and fluffy.
  4. Gradually stir in flour mixture. 
  5. Stir in rolled oats and chocolate chips. (I use my hands for this!) 
  6. Teaspoon onto baking sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes or till golden. I let cookies cool on sheets for 2 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

I hate 'fessing up, but this recipe is actually a twist on Hilary Clinton's cookie recipe! I've been making these since she had her bake-off with Barbara Bush some years ago. (Okay, I just looked it up and it was 1992!! Thanks for finding this, Mom!) I just double the original amount of chocolate chips she calls for, hence the name of my cookies. Also, this is one of the few recipes I will actually follow to a T - because it never fails! Makes about 64 cookies (16 cookies per 4 cookie sheets). Once cooled, I stick them in a freezer bag and freeze them. Then when I want a few, I simply pop 'em in the microwave for about 10 seconds. The chocolate chips melt just right and are sooo good! 

*Still perfecting the White Chocolate Macadamia cookies pictured. They're good, but don't have my stamp of approval...yet. Lucky for Shrek, I will continue my quest to perfect them over time ;)


3 comments:

Unknown said...

hey, do I get any credit??

Eileen and Brad's World said...

The problem with this recipe is the pictures. They look so delicious who has enough patience to actually make them - I just have to sprint into the pantry to find something sugary-chocolaty to satisfy the intense craving!

I will definitely make these, but will have to substitute butter for the Crisco, as shortening doesn't exist here in SA as far as I know!

MindyKnows said...

Eileen - Thanks! Let me know how they turn out with butter. It's probably more healthy than Crisco, so I'm inclined to think they won't taste as good. Just kidding! I think they'll still be great :)

Mom - Better? I just added text to give you props since I'm sure I wasn't paging through cookie recipes back then!

About MindyKnows

My photo
I'm a girl constantly on the hunt for top quality, stellar customer service, and fun when it comes to shopping and eating out. The more affordable, the better. Though, you will quickly see that indulging in handbags - Hello, Louis! - and food - Hello, Foodie! - is a weakness of mine. Yes, posts will primarily pertain to the Bay Area as this is where I currently call "Home." However, I am no stranger to travel so visit often to read up on my finds and to chime in on your faves!

Blogs I Follow